If you have been a follower on here for a while now, you will know it has been my dream to work in a summer camp for a number of years, and I planned that 2014 would be the year that I did it. I applied August 2013 after a verrrry long process, seen people get hired extremely quick, and have been to camp fairs to try and get hired and have been rejected by a number of camps, which is extremely disheartening. But to be honest I didn't want to go to any of these camps, they were all based around sports and I am the least sporty person around, I'm useless at it. So in the end I just thought that was it, I wasn't ever going to get hired because I wasn't sporty and I don't really own any main skills.
However last month a camp got in touch with me and said they were interested in my application and would like to get to know me a bit more. Most people get hired on the spot, however this camp had an even longer application process, with lots of essay questions and if you pass those, an interview with the director of the camp. I thought I would give it a shot, but didn't expect myself to get the job.
When going through with the application questions, I spent a lot of time on the camp's website and I fell in love with it - the camp is me all over. Not really sporty in the slightest, but focuses on the imagination and adventures of childhood and they mainly focus on catching a child's imagination through crazy activities and games. They do still have skill based activities, but having fun through your imagination is mainly what the camp is about. And I started getting so attached to this camp - I so wanted it.
I passed all the essay questions and was given a Skype interview with the camp director and about an hour before it I broke down crying absolutely terrified, I get so nervous in those kind of situations. At half 6 my Skype started ringing, and I answered it. There were lots of questions for me to ask and lots for the director to ask me. I didn't look at the time until near the end - it was 8.40pm! I knew then it was coming to the end because he told me over email it would only be a couple of hours. Then randomly he said,
"So would you like to be part of our team of staff?"
...or something like that.
WHATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!
I was in shock.
After we spoke a bit more and I actually had to ask him to confirm it was a definite place (haha!), we waved goodbye on Skype, I shut my laptop, slowly walked downstairs, then went into the living room with my housemate Danielle in and literally screamed "I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!" and started dancing around the room.
I cannot tell you how over the moon I am. I'm finally fulfilling a dream I have had for so long, but I know it is going to all happen at a camp that I have completely fallen in love with, which makes it so much more exciting.
I'm a little scared too, I'm going to be away from friends and family and an 11 hour flight from home for nearly 4 months. Okay, I am actually terrified. But I couldn't be more happy if I tried.
Jazz

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)