Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Seizures.

Had another bizarre experience on the bus today. Again, slightly scary, but in a different way.

I was sat near the back of the bus with my friend, and sometimes the university bus to the town center can get quite packed where some people have to stand up. When we were half way down the main road we suddenly heard banging from the front of the bus and the bus pulled up at the side of the road. The only 'older' woman (everyone else was like 18-20) quickly got up and went to the front of the bus. 

Then we realised there was a lad having a seizure and no one knew what to do! We didn't know whether to call an ambulance or get off the bus through the emergency exit (onto a freaking busy road) or what. After about 5 minutes the bus started moving again and took us to the place where everyone has to get off. 

Then the bus driver suddenly shouted to get off at the emergency exit. The emergency exit was next to the lad next to me, so thank God he was there otherwise everyone would have been stuck. If you've never got out a bus emergency exit before, let me warn you: it is one hell of a jump.

But if I was at the front of the bus, I would have had no fucking clue what to do. I'd have just stood there in complete shock. So as soon as I got on my other bus I made sure I researched what to do incase anything like that ever happens again! 

If you don't know what to do, then here are some things you should remember:

• Move anything out of the way of them so they have space to have a seizure without hurting themselves, but don't move them

• Try and cushion their head (with a coat, scarf, pillow)

• Do NOT put anything in their mouth (fingers, food, water)

• Try and turn them onto their side so they don't choke on spit/sick

• Don't put pressure on their body or try to stop them moving

• Undo anything that is tight on their body (waist belts, ties, buttons around the neck)

• Reassure them throughout


When to call an ambulance!

• Try and time the seizure - a typical seizure lasts between 60 and 90 seconds, however if it lasts over 3 (or 5) minutes (different sites said different things) then you should call an ambulance

• If they do not awaken after the seizure

•If they have repeated seizures

• If the person is pregnant


Andddd....

• Stay with the person for at least 20 minutes after the seizure has finished


Hope I've helped if you were unsure on what to do! I know I've helped myself ha!

I don't know what happened with the lad, all I know is that they were waiting for a paramedic, but hopefully he will be ok.

Jazz

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Crazy shit is always happening on your bus rides. Sheesh. Not too long ago a former co-worker of mine had a seizure at work but I wasn't there. I don't think I woulda known what to do. Thanks for the tip though, hope the guy was okay. Do you know if he was epileptic (the girl I worked with is)?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)