Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Pros and cons of living in England and a seaside town!

If you didn't already know, I live in England. I have never really lived in another country (I kind of lived in Sweden when I was a baby, but being a baby, I don't exactly remember it), so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'll do my best at giving advantages and disadvantages!

I'm hardly a country girl, when
I go down south to visit family,
we have to go on 'country walks',
on this occasion I somehow got
my scarf stuck when climbing
over a fence...
Pros
 There is a smoking ban, therefore no smoking in public indoor places, thank God!
 There is free, public healthcare, woop.
 The food! I actually really like the food over here, it just seems normal compared to most places.
 You are never too far from a beach (only a few hours drive at most).
 A lot of the country is mainly rural I think, so if you want peace, you're not too far from it. And it's pretty, but it smells bad at times.
 English people are sarcastic and I love sarcasm, even though I never get it half the time.
 You need to have a proper reason to be licensed with a gun, so there's less chance of being shot ha! I guess it's a reasonably safe country.
 TV programmes are pretty good if I'm honest.
 We have a royal family, which I think is so snobby and cute!
 We don't have any crazy killer insects or animals.
A typical English countryside village, so cute!
Source
Scones with jam and clotted cream, mmmm.
Source
Cons
 Everything is pretty expensive, for example, if you go in a typical paper shop, a bottle of water is £1! I know that might not sound like much, but in Wilkos (a cheapo shop) a bottle of water is like 30p, so why can't everywhere sell them that cheap? And don't get me started on house prices, ridiculous.
 There is never a summertime. We rarely have nice weather, and when we do, it is like a 2 day heatwave when everyone is at work during the week. Also it is mainly overcast. And if you're not from England, I have to admit it does not rain as much as some people say it does. Probably like 6 days of the week. HA! I joke, about 3.
 After a few emails with Miki earlier on, I discovered pepper spray is illegal over here, what the hell can we defend ourselves with?!
 There is a lot of CCTV. Wherever you go, you are most likely being watched!! I suppose this is a pro in a lot of cases, but I don't really like the idea that I'm on hundreds of CCTV cameras each day.
 The typical house for a middle class family isn't exactly roomy, and the third bedroom is always like a box.
 The country is barely English anymore, they let way too many foreigners in. I have nothing against foreigners, but it's just getting ridiculous now, the other day on my way to university, it was a good 15 minutes into my journey before an English person got on the bus and I heard my own language again!
 This is just a personal one, but I can't understand some of the accents.
 The majority of the beaches are absolutely crap, not that we need them anyway.

This made me laugh so much. Oh how I've been in this positon many times.
Source
I don't think I've done England much justice, but I absolutely love living here and I don't think I will ever move out this country permanently! Unless I go to Wales because I love it there, but there's not much difference.


If you didn't know, I am from a seaside town! Here are some of the pros and cons...
This isn't my beach, mines a little uglier, but still, you get the jist.
Source

Pros
 The ice cream shops are immense, such cool flavours.
 There are chippy's everywhere you go.
 There's a pier!
 A few kinda cool events are held here.
 We have a carousel and arcades.
 The air sometimes smells of the sea, which is lovely!
 There's a lot more to do than most towns.





Source

Cons
 Seagulls are everywhere. And they shit everywhere.
 Because it is a bit of a tourist town (ish, not quite there completely), the roads are heaving when an event is going on.
 Our beach is ugly. In fact, our beach barely exists.


What are the pros and cons of your country or town?
Please let me know!

Hope you are enjoying your week!

Jazz

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! I live in Wales and I love it too, never would I move. The summer is always awful but you can always rely on the winter being amazing! haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Pepper spray is illegal here either?! Goodness what on earth are we supposed to do?! I have been known before to bung an aerosol spray in my handbag if I have to walk anyway quiet & dark on my way home - look out whoever tries to creep up on me - he'll get a face full of "impulse"! ha ha.
    Loved reading your post as usual xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading about where you spend your time. And I'm pretty sure I should move there ... someone just told me this morning that I'm one of the most sarcastic people they know. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so many things I didn't know about England! Like you need a good reason to own a gun. I really like that idea. Too many nut jobs can buy guns here and it's perfectly legal because it's our "right" as Americans. So annoying and American ideals can really piss me off sometimes. Anyway, this is a neat post, as always. I think the only thing I wouldn't like too much about England is the weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)