Thursday, 11 October 2012

What's your name?

I am definitely not referring to the Rihanna song. Most definitely not.

Since I started university, I have obviously been meeting lots of new people and been meeting my teachers/lecturers (whatever they're called at uni), so obviously I've had to learn lots of new names. I can honestly say I'm pretty good with remembering names, I am just awful at remembering faces. I'm constantly thinking "Is that them...? Should I say hi? No, it's not them. Hold on, maybe it is...", I just don't remember what people look like at all.

Anyway, what I mainly wanted to talk about, was that people can't seem to understand that 'Jazz' is an abbreviation of 'Jasmin'. Not everyone, but some people generally look so confused when I say I'm called Jazz. I don't know why though, it's not really any different to someone called 'Alexandra' being called 'Alex', or 'Rebecca' being called 'Becky'. But people just look baffled when I say that. Strange, hey?

Also, I've noticed that depending on what the person looks like, I make a decision on whether to say my name is Jazz or Jasmin. If they're older (like 40+) or they look extremely intellectual, I give my full name. But for people closer to my age and people who just look like the equivalent to me, I give my nickname. Like in my poetry class, the teacher is about late 30s and she asked my name and I said '"Jazz" and she looked a bit like "Er what?", so I just quickly added a "min". Not really sure why it makes a difference.

That was such a pointless post, but I just felt like talking about it.

I'm really starting to enjoy university now after my last minute panic about it! I do wish I had lived in but I wouldn't have been able to because I live pretty close, but I might get a house with someone next year. But if I do that I may have to put the summer in America a year back because of money. I shall have to see! But yeaaaah, I'm really enjoying it. And I have a teeeny weeeny crush on someone and I feel about 12 again because I smile really cheesily whenever I think about them. EEEEEE. I'm so childish.

Nearly the end of the week, yay!

Jazz

3 comments:

  1. i totally get what you mean, people don't seem to understand that my name is just 'Sylvie' and call me Sylvia instead, so annoying! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. You and I posted about names on the same day, ha! Great minds think alike. And trust me, I know all about confusing looks when telling people my name. They can be so rude! I've even come across people who think my name is Shawna or La-Shawn (ghetto version of Sean) instead on just Sean. It get's annoying.

    About the remember people's names/faces, there is actually a study for short term memory of that. I'm apparently really good at remembering them. You can take this test to participate in the research: http://experiments.wustl.edu/ It's pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, well written blog! Best wishes from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)