Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Why I despise Facebook.

I was once a Facebook addict. Completely addicted. However, I stopped regularly using Facebook well over a year ago now. I don't do status updates or upload photos, I just use it for messaging friends. I went through months back and deleted a couple of hundred people and only have about 200 now, which is still a ridiculous amount, I speak to like 5 of them.

However, today it popped up saying that I have finally been updated to Timeline. I did not realise how addicted I once was. I did about 4 statuses a day. That is ridiculous. They are the most pathetic statuses ever as well. My 'Timeline' is not actually public yet, and goes public in about a week. I have one week to go through probably well over a thousand statuses and hide these embarrassing parts of my life from my friends. I have just been doing February 2009 and it took me about ten minutes to do two weeks worth. I am cringing. Here is a taste of what I put...


I also dislike Facebook because...
-There are attention seekers
-I liked way too many groups when I was younger that now take up my news feed
-I hate the people that put their lives all over it
-You feel you have to keep certain people on your friends list that you don't want
-You can see when someone has read a message (I enjoy ignoring people I can't be doing with)
-People use it as a way to be nosey 
-It can be very bitchy

I generally just use it to keep in touch with people every now and then.

However, I fancy deleting it after discovering I have this Timeline crap.

Are you a hater or a lover?

Jazz

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I loathe facebook, too! And I had no idea you could see when someone has read a message :O, how, though?

    I always refused to open an account but I felt that I had to because I moved to the States, David's family wanted to keep in touch with me and see photos and they don't know how blogger works. Now I kind of use it so that my family in Argentina can get in touch with me because it's simpler than having to send photos to every single member. I'd so love to close my account ... Although you technically can not delete it for good.

    Hope you're having a great week, Jazz! ;D

    Miki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love facebook. But I use it to put pictures up for my family to see. Especially of the tot.

    Plus, I'm super nosy and love peeking in on people's lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you could see when a message was read either. I've been thinking about getting rid of mine too. I have so many pet peeves on FB and I find it pretty boring, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I highly dislike Facebook. Heaps of people use it as their diary and post stuff that just shouldn't be mentioned online. Half my friends can't even spell like normal humans. I've considered deleting mine more times than I could count but I use it to message people :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, that 'keeping ppl you don't want' thing... ugh, there are so many people i wish i could get rid of but i see them everyday at school, and it would be awkward :/ as soon as i graduate, they're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya :) first of all, as always, thank you for your lovely comments on my recent blog posts xx
    I totally agree, I've been on facebook now for 5 years and in the beginning I was completely obsessed - I was checking it every hour! (usually in work when i really shouldn't have been, oops!) Anyway, you're totally right about how ridiculous it has become, what really used to annoy me is when someone i would perhaps call an "aquaintance" or i might just know them as a "friend of a friend", would send me a Friend Request, i'd accept (as i'm soft and don't like to offend) and then i go and see that said person in the street - go to say hi, and they COMPLETELY blank me like they don't even know who i am!! I mean, what is all that about?! Needless to say I'd always go straight home and delete them. Now i've learnt the lesson and don't even accept anyone I hardly know, and have deleted loads of people - though still think i have around 150 - like you say, i probably only ever speak to probably a quarter of them, if that. I hate the new timeline rubbish, and only use FB now for the "SEll/SWAP" site which i mentioned in one of my recent posts, and to message people and keep in touch with long-distance friends and family.

    I much prefer to blog, though only a very small number of people know that I do it; my husband, parents, and my best friend. I only tell these few people, and they are able to access my blog, but i would NEVER make it public to anyone else I know. If everyone were to read it like you can on facebook it would stop me writing as "me" if you know what i mean, i know that what i was writing about would be influenced by who I thought might be reading it.

    I much prefer my "blogging friends" such as yourself to read my blog, i've met so many like-minded people since I started it, I'd be lost now without internet!

    Right, essay over! Marina xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)